After learning that hypnotism is an actual thing, individuals want to know, “How do you hypnotize someone?” Many people have seen the advertisements on the back of comic books stating they too could learn how to hypnotize. Others have watched on television and in movies how hypnotism is utilized to make someone do something. Unfortunately, it is these perceptions that have made the acceptance rate of hypnosis a lot slower within the general public. The truth is that not many individuals are made fully aware of all the scientific evidence available that backs up the use of hypnotism. Hypnosis has long been used as a viable too to assist individuals looking to get rid of pain, increase healing, break habits, or achieve certain goals.
Another thing that many do not know is that it is actually very simple to hypnotize people. In fact, if someone is daydreaming or completely engrossed in a book, for example, time wanders and it is state very similar to that of hypnosis. Hypnosis induces a natural state that feels a bit like relaxing and even falling asleep!
Things to Keep in Mind before Hypnotizing
There are some things individuals need to keep in mind before learning how to hypnotize someone. First and foremost, do not ask a person to do something that can be construed as harmful. While this may seem obvious, a good rule to stick to is never ask a person to do something under hypnotism that they would not be asked to do when fully conscious.
People will most likely say that they do not “feel” as though they are hypnotized. Because hypnosis is considered a naturally occurring state, if is quite normal for people to feel as though nothing happened. People tend to experience an odd feeling that just does not come about.
The only thing that will stop an individual from being hypnotized is fear. If someone has a fear of hypnotism or what they may be asked to do, they are not susceptible to its effects.
Common signs of hypnosis include:
• Eyelids fluttering
• Increased wetness and/or redness in the eyes
• General feeling of relaxation
• Relaxation of all facial muscles
• Tingling sensations
• Changes in a person’s rate and depth of breathing
• Slight twitching in legs, arms, and fingers
What to Explain to the Person before Putting them under Hypnosis
Prior to hypnotizing an individual, there are some things that should be first explained.
• Hypnosis is considered a naturally occurring state and therefore will feel quite natural.
• Individuals should feel relaxed and not “hypnotized.”
• Individuals cannot get stuck in a hypnotized-induced trance as soon on television and movies.
• Value system and morals continue to remain in place despite being hypnotized.
• Individuals can still maintain awareness of what is going on in the environment around them.
• A majority of individuals do in fact remember what they did while under hypnosis.
The Progressive Relaxation Induction
The progressive relaxation hypnosis technique is one of the most commonly used methods to hypnotize a willing participant. Here is how to hypnotize a person with this technique:
• Have the individual participating either sit or lie down in a position that is comfortable for them.
• Talk to them in a voice that is soothing and calm, but not necessary monotonous.
• Tell them to take a deep breath in, close their eyes, and feel their body as it begins to relax.
• Ask the individual to place their awareness on various parts of their body to relax them. Tell them to become aware of the body part and then relax it and get them to feel more comfortable. Repeat these instructions for the entire body. It is often beneficial to start with the feet and work up to the head.
• While saying this, do not forget to use positive affirmations, such as “That is right, you are doing a very good job.”
• Keep in mind for some people this relaxation process may need to be done two or three times.
• Once the hypnotist is ready for them to emerge, say something like, “I am not going to count to the number five. When I get to the number five, open your eyes and feel refreshed and relaxed.” As the hypnotist is counting to five, their voice should go from soothing to more much awake. Once the hypnotist gets to the number four, they should say “At the very next number, open your eyes and feel refreshed and relaxed.”
• Once their eyes are open, hypnotists can choose what they want the individual to do while they are in their trance. Always give instructions that are short and to the point. Do not give them long-winded things to think about, say or do, because it can be too overwhelming while in this state.
• When the person is ready to take them out of the trance, have the individual close their eyes and count the same way as before, but instead of counting from one to five, count down from five to one and clap hands at one. The individual will then come right out of their trance.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Hypnosis
Is hypnosis safe? Yes, hypnosis is very safe. The state of consciousness is not altered, but the experience of consciousness is.
Do people do things they do not want to do? Even while in a trance-like state, individuals still retain their personality and their personal beliefs. They are still themselves. While in a trance, individuals can refuse a suggestion offered by the hypnotist (which is why it is called a “suggestion” and not an “order).
How does one respond better to hypnosis? Individuals should be calm and relaxed throughout the whole process. If they are feeling uptight or are uncomfortable, they will not be as susceptible to hypnosis.
What does being hypnotized feel like? Think about how it is like to let imagination run wild or to day dream. Hypnosis feels like a daydream.
This has been likened to the techniques of how to hypnotize someone like upgrade on touch leisurely, and decrease it again. You create to jargon gently, in a reassuring way. You ask them to stare at first, with desires for the topic to …
Learn how to hypnotize animals using step by step hypnosis tricks. Click here to learn animal hypnosis secrets!
Do you often wonder if it is really possible to learn how to hypnotize someone? Millions of people come to the internet in search of how to do this.